Monday, September 8, 2008

What's in a Name?

Our little girls name is Emily Grace and we plan to call her "Gracie." I've wanted to name my daughter Gracie for as long as I can remember. At first I thought that was just as far back as before Matt and I were married but a conversation with a friend from high school reminded me that I've actually wanted to name her that since high school. Man, I'm getting old.

As I was trying to find a title for our blog it was very hard to come up with something that hadn't already been used. I tried "Our Little Blessing", "The Deans", "Gracie Girl", "My Gracie Girl"and a lot more that were all taken. I'm actually glad they were though because I decided to listen to one of my favorite songs ("Gracie" by Ben Folds) as I was working on this and the perfect name popped out of the lyrics.

The fact that Ben Folds named his daughter Gracie and wrote a song about her just happens to be a coincidence. The fact that Matt and I love Ben Folds and even incorporated his music ("The Luckiest") into our wedding is just another great reason to love the song that bears our little girls name even though she wasn't named after it. Here are the lyrics:

You can't fool me, I saw you when you came out
You got your momma's taste but you got my mouth
And you will always have a part of me
Nobody else is ever going to see
Gracie girl

With your cards to your chest walking on your toes
What you got in the box only Gracie knows
And I would never try to make you be
Anything you didn't really want to be
Gracie girl

Life flies by in seconds
You're not a baby Gracie, you're my friend
You'll be a lady soon but until then
You gotta do what I say

You nodded off in my arms watching TV
I won't move you an inch even though my arm's asleep

One day you're gonna want to go
I hope we taught you everything you need to know
Gracie girl

And there will always be a part of me
Nobody else is ever gonna see but you and me
My little girl
My Gracie girl



So this is the story of our life with Gracie. I'm going to try my best to update often. The first thing I'll do is tell you a little more about the title of our blog and about how Matt and I made it to this point in our lives. Don't worry, I'll make it the abbreviated version. :) After all, we have a lot to do to get ready for Gracie's arrival in November.

No comments: