Wednesday, September 17, 2008

All I ever needed to know I learned in my Child Birth Prep class

Matt and I attended our first Child Birth Preparation class this past Monday. It's a four week long class with one 2 hour session every week. I'm not sure that the title is really accurate though. I mean...can one actually be "prepared" for child birth? Maybe if you've experienced it before you can anticipate what will happen and be somewhat prepared. The closer the event comes the less prepared I actually feel though.

I've researched what to take to the hospital so I have a pretty good idea what packing my bag will entail. I know what hospital I will deliver at so I know where to go and what doctor to call. I know that we will call our parents as soon as we start that lengthy labor and delivery process. Sidenote: They're in Louisiana and Texas so they've got a long way to travel to get here. But that's about it...and let's face it...even those things may change if I go into labor early or end up having to be induced.

During my entire pregnancy my motto has been "expect the unexpected." I feel like if I expect that everything will probably not turn out the way I see it in my mind then I'll be ready for anything. So far it's worked. Don't get me wrong, I've been preparing myself by reading books and taking this prep class but I am in no way expecting them to be a magic recipe for having an easy time with Gracie. All I can do now is pray that she comes into this world with all her fingers and toes in the right places and that God will help Matt and I enjoy raising her no matter what kind of a baby she turns out to be.

The Child Prep teacher recommended we talk to our little ones about the whole birthing process (no, she's not a hippie just a loving mom). So I've been having this conversation with Gracie, "I love you Gracie. I can't wait to meet you and I hope you are getting ready to come into this world. Let's work together to make sure that the labor and delivery process goes smoothly for both of us. Wouldn't that be nice? The faster it goes the faster I get to wrap you up in my arms and keep you nice and warm and start feeding your little belly." I guess we'll see if she's really listening in there in about two months. :)

No comments: