Friday, March 30, 2012

This Earth

Winter is turning to Spring here in Indy. It's happening quite early this year. We've already worn shorts a few times. Last year it didn't warm up until June, literally.

I always enjoy spring. When I was little it was because my birthday is in May. And it meant school was coming to a close for the Summer. I still enjoy it for those reasons but now it means a lot more. It's amazing to see all the new life budding forth. To see the flowers start to bloom and the birds start to sing. A couple years ago we had a robin's nest in our backyard and when the mommy and daddy bird were out hunting we would sneak a peak at those little blue eggs. I would hold Gracie up to see them and even at that young age she saw that those eggs were new life. Babies just waiting for their spin on this earth.

This Earth. Gracie must be learning about Earth at preschool because right now she can identify a picture of the Earth and she knows we live on it. She still asks where Earth is and where on this Earth we live. Questions I can answer but that cause a glazed expression to cross her face. And then the other day she asked this one, "Where is God on this Earth?" I responded, "He's everywhere." She asks, "Is he in all our tummies?" She knows Jesus lives in our hearts and that Evan was in mommy's tummy. I guess she's just trying to figure the God thing out. But hey, aren't we all?

Before Gracie could speak I started asking her a very simple question, "Who made Gracie?" And I would answer, "God made Gracie!" It was very exciting for her then and very exciting for me the first time she answered with a simple, "God." I don't always have the answers to her questions. I'm sure she will stump me over and over again. I do know who made her though and I will spend my life trying to teach her that she has purpose. That God made her to love Him. That He offers us hope because He loves us. That's what I see in Spring. New life given by the God that offers new life to us everyday, literally.

No comments: